- Hide your clutter (such as keys, purse) in pretty, same colored baskets or in drawers.
- Have empty clean surfaces.
- Clear floors by hanging or attaching securely to the wall.
- Arrange flowers and plants (but not too many).
- Have scented candles or diffusers with essential oils on.
- Store away seasonal items in translucent baskets and stack them after properly labeling.
- Throw away broken stuff and sell good unused stuff.
- If there is an assorted pile that cannot be stored in baskets or boxes, cover them up with a pretty cloth.
- Have place for every single item at home and keep it back after use.
- Have light colored furniture and curtains.
Decluttering has become a major revolution these days. Many blogs and videos have emerged about decluttering, how to do it and advantages of decluttering. Decluttering includes throwing away or donating the items that are not useful to that person anymore. And, here comes my difficult in understanding decluttering or why I do not agree the way people are decluttering.
I strongly support the items that do not fit or that are expired or that is not working anymore to be removed from home. But there are several useful items that need not be thrown away but can be used slowly. For example, you may have 3-4 brand new tooth brushes stored. As a process of decluttering, I do not see any need of throwing them away. You have spent your money to buy them, maybe out of impulse or poor organizing skills before, but right now you can save them and replace whenever needed. This way you don’t have to spend money later or already spent money on buying the brushes will not be wasted.
There has been a growing number of people in the process of extreme decluttering whatever may be the reason. The only thing is I say that there are no hard and fast rules in the process of decluttering. Do what you think is wise. Just because some people got rid most of the stuff does not mean that you too have to do that. Throw away that does not fit or expired or broken or is not useful anymore. Save the useful stuff, if there are any multiples, if you know that you will be using them in the near future. Your house may not be clutter free quickly but you will not be throwing away the money in the garbage. Do not even shop before you finish off all those products.